LAFORGE is one of the most experienced
suppliers in the world of gear driven front PTO systems for tractors.
We started almost 30 years ago to supply them in Europe. The first
application was for driving front mounted sugar beet defoliators.
Over the last few years front hitch
technology has migrated into large farming operations with higher
HP tractors and areas with an extended growing season where tractors
are used for several hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of hour
per year. This demands not only higher power capability of the front
PTO systems, but also a durability that exceeds what most PTO systems
on the market can offer.
This is precisely why in 2008, LAFORGE
introduced the FrontPower line of
PTO systems which establishes us as the undisputed leader in front
Our competitors tend to list for
their PTO a “maximum HP”, or “up to .. HP”.
This begs you to ask: “For
Some of them apparently hook the
PTO to a dynamometer and crank it up until something breaks and
list this as the power capability of their PTO.
LAFORGE FrontPower systems are
however designed and tested much like a rear PTO or a modern transmission
on a tractor. We conduct for example, just like major tractor manufacturers,
durability tests that mimic actual usage of the tractor in the field.
Competitor systems have been found to last less than 100 hours when
submitted to the same tests.
Some features that set LAFORGE FrontPower
- Durability is addressed with advanced design features:
- We use a “zero seal” design with controlled
leak rate for lubrication, similar to advanced transmission
designs. This eliminates seals as a source of wear and heat
- “Zero seal” also contributes to the drastic
reduction in parts in FrontPower
compared to any other systems on the market. The fewer parts,
the less can go wrong.
- An external oil cooler is standard. It prevents overheating
under heavy loads.
- Electronically controlled, progressive engagement of the
wet clutch prevents damaging peak loads on the PTO, the engine,
and the implement.
- The high pressure pump allows for the use of a smaller oil cooler
compared to existing systems. This minimizes the interference
with engine cooling which is becoming increasingly important on
- The self-contained system is easy to install on almost any modern
tractor with access to the crankshaft. No connection to the tractor’s
hydraulic or electronic system is required:
- A switch in the cab is connected to 12V supply behind the
- A flexible coupler with vibration dampening capability
is bolted to the crankshaft pulley.
- The PTO transmission “box” is bolted to the
front of the tractor and connected with a shaft to the coupler.
- The electronic control unit is attached to the master shield.
A harness connects the control unit to the speed sensor and
the solenoid valve on the PTO “box” and to the
switch in the cab.
- Safety features are built in to protect operators and bystanders:
- Correct ISO direction of rotation of output shaft. This
is clock-wise when you stand in front of the tractor and look
at the shaft! The same as when you look at the rear PTO.
- Permanent marking on the front face of the direction of
- Metal master shield according to ISO recommendations.
- Two-step on/off switch in the cab to prevent accidental
- Red LED light in the cab alerts the operator to PTO over
- Brake system for stopping implements from rotating when
the PTO is switched off.
- Engine required to be turned off to be able to rotate the
output shaft by hand for hook-up. It then will turn without
- All these safety features are built into the design and
will work regardless of tractor make and model.
- Ease of maintenance was part of the design criteria:
- Oil filter, fill plug and drain plug are all on the front
face of the PTO “box”.
- Product identification is permanently embedded in the casting
making it easy to find the correct spare parts.
- The stand-alone design ensures commonality of parts across
tractor brands and models.
For a slide show summary of FrontPower
features click here
systems are available in two models:
LAFORGE also offers a
Counter-ISO rotating system
(Selected markets only!)